If you or someone you know has been a victim of crime, you are able to claim financial assistance from the Victims of Crime Assistance Tribunal.

We can make an application for financial assistance on your behalf, and you do not have to pay any legal fees. Our fees will be paid by the Tribunal.

NOTE:  You may have to pay for disbursements. This means if we incur costs in obtaining any medical reports, evidence, etc. you will have to pay for those expenses, however those expenses are usually nominal.

Who can claim financial assistance?

A person can make a claim for financial assistance if:

  • They are a victim of a violent crime
  • They have suffered an injury due to that violent crime
  • The crime occurred in Victoria
  • They are a primary, secondary, or related victim

Primary Victims

A primary victim is a person who suffers directly due to:

  • a violent crime committed against him or her;
  • trying to arrest someone he/she believes, on reasonable grounds, has committed a violent crime;
  • trying to prevent the commission of a violent crime; or
  • trying to aid or rescue someone he/she believes is the victim of a violent crime.

 Secondary victim

A secondary victim is a person who is injured due to:

  • being present at the scene of a violent crime and witnessing that crime
  • subsequently becoming aware of a violent crime where he/she is the parent/guardian of the primary victim who was under the age of 18 at the time the criminal act was committed.

What financial assistance is available?

The financial assistance you can claim is determined on a case-by-case basis.

Generally, you can claim:

  • Reasonable Counselling expenses
  • Medical expenses
  • Funeral Expenses
  • Lost earnings

Time Limits

The application should be made within TWO years after the violent crime

The 2-year time limit does not apply to applications where the applicant was under 18 and was a victim of sexual and physical abuse.

If it has been more than 2 years since you were a victim of a violent crime, we may still able to make an application on your behalf and can apply to obtain a time extension.

The Tribunal usually errs on the side of granting an extension so do not hesitate to contact us, even if it has been more than 2 years since the violent crime.

Leave a Reply